How to Select Eco-Friendly Rugs
As today a large variety of area rugs is available in the market, buyers have a better choice of area rugs. The quality of area rug will depend on the material used to make the rug.
Types of Natural Area Rugs
Eco-friendly natural rugs may be made from various materials like wool, bamboo, sisal, seagrass and jute. Here is more information about the different types of natural rugs.
The wool rugs are made by using the wool from the sheep. It has existed since many centuries. It was a luxury in earlier days. Today there are many varieties and patterns of wool area rugs.
You will find that wool rugs are strong and durable. They come in many different colors and shades. You may opt between hand knotted, hand tufted and machine made wool rug varieties. These come in several unique contemporary and traditional patterns.
Sisal and hemp are commonly used to make rugs due to their durability. You can obtain the fibers from the skin or bark of the plant. These are then dried to make the rugs.
The Sisal rugs can effectively used in the high traffic areas of your home. They are long lasting and durable.
Bamboo rugs are made by weaving together slender strips of bamboo into a fine rug. These rugs are commonly found in Japanese style of interiors. These rugs also retain a natural and mature look.
You will find that bamboo rugs are very user-friendly. You can easily maintain them clean by making use of a duster.
Jute rugs are very popular among natural rugs. These are durable and soft. They also come in a variety of patterns and colors. Round jute rugs are simply ideal for the living room.
You may think that jute is always of a coarse texture. But jute fabric is used to make imitation of silk.
Seagrass usually grows in marshy areas and paddy fields. During harvest time, the long strands of seagrass is dried and rolled into yards. These are then woven into various designs.
Seagrass is naturally impermeable to water. It is not affected by stain or water. You can clean these rugs easily by wiping and dusting.
These are a few of the common natural fibers which are employed to make natural area rugs for homes. Each of these natural materials offer a different set of benefits which make them ideal for different homes.
How to select a natural area rug for your home?
Here are some things you need to keep in mind while you go to purchase a natural area rug.
- You must first plan where you plan to place the area rug. There can be different places in your home where you can make use of natural area rugs. The choice of natural area rug will vary depending on your requirement and its utility.
- If you are planning to have a natural area rug for your living room, you have several natural rugs to choose from. You must make sure the area rug goes with the existing interiors of the living room.
- Round jute rugs are often apt choices for the living room. It creates an inviting appeal. You can opt for bamboo rugs if you have any special themed home. You may even try out other varieties of contemporary natural rugs as these blend well with modern interiors.
- If you want an area rug for the kitchen or dining hall, you must opt for a rug which is resistant to stain and water. Seagrass rugs could be an ideal option. It looks natural but exhibits amazing stain resistant properties.
- If you want an area rug in your bedroom or any high traffic area, you can opt for Sisal rugs as these tend to be very durable.
- You must also consider the shades and hues of the area rugs. They should match with the interiors of your home. Otherwise, it may look out of place.
- Natural Area Rugs come in various sizes and shapes. You must select a size which is easy to place in the room and which also serves the purpose.
Where to buy a natural Area Rug?
You can purchase natural rug from any good rug store in your neighborhood. This will give you an opportunity to check out the several options available. You can purchase the natural rug after you are sure of its quality.
You even have an option to purchase the natural rugs from the several online rug stores. You will have to surf several websites and see the numerous options. You will then come across the best deals. Online stores usually have seasonal discounts too. This is a good way to save money on quality stuff.
How to maintain Natural Rugs?
Here are some tips on how you must maintain natural area rugs.
- You must regularly vacuum natural area rugs. This will help you maintain the natural rugs clean.
- If there are any stains or spills on the rug, you must clean it instantly. Natural area rugs don’t resist moisture. Thus, you should be careful while cleaning and maintaining these rugs.
- You can clean the stains by using a solution of 2 cups of lukewarm water, 1 teaspoon detergent and 1 teaspoon of white vinegar.
These are just a few simple facts about the natural area rugs which you can use in your homes.
What are the Advantages of using Natural Area Rugs?
- Natural area rugs are made from natural materials which are eco-friendly.
- Natural area rugs are good for people who suffer from any kind of allergy as these usually do not gather allergens.
- Cleaning and maintaining natural area rugs is very simple.
- Natural area rugs come in different varieties, textures, colors and patterns.