How to Install a runner rug on stairs?
Why should you install a stair runner?
Stair runner makes sure that the staircase is protected from injuries and marks. Due to heavy footing, most of the times stairs can chip or damaged. Hence, these rug runners are used to safeguard the surface. There may be a possibility that the stairs get stains over them.
Due to water or any liquid spillage, the look of the platform may get spoilt. Hence, runner rugs can be installed to save your region from all such issues. Stair runners are great for high traffic areas and therefore you can even use them for pathways and other places. However, these are specially designed to be positioned on the steps.
Advantages of stair runner and the types
For parties and occasions, a beautiful stair runner enhances the look of the home. Your home interiors and exteriors gain a special status with them. You can look for long runner rugs which are well structured and have amazing design patterns. They can be placed on this area to provide for a unique home décor.
You can look for stair runners which have a grainy surface. This will help you to wipe the dirt from your boots with much more comfort. Some of the people even opt for velvet and shag rugs. They can also act as excellent stair runners.
Mostly, you should get a stair runner which can absorb water or are Eco friendly. This makes sure that the home is safe for children and those people who suffer from allergies caused by chemicals. However, a polypropylene stair runner can be effective during rains. You can even place them in the outdoor areas.
Synthetic stair runners can genuinely ward off stains. However, some of them can attract oil based particles. They should be cleaned and washed from time to time. These rugs are a good agent to collect dust and other grime.
How to install a stair runner?
- There is a strip of carpeting which is narrow. This is placed on a pad which is attached to a tackless strand or strip. This is generally nailed to every tread.
- The dense and thin pad is present which helps to reduce the effect of footstep sound. It also has the advantage to save the stair runner from wear and tear. The width of the runner rug has to be subtracted from that of the staircase. It is to be divided by two.
- You should mark the particular distance out which is relative to the skirt board. Also, note that same procedure has to be repeated when it comes to the convergence point of the tread and the riser.
- For every tread, utilize metal sheet strips to cut the tackless strip till 2 inches, generally shorter in width compared to the runner rug. Position a scrap piece against the riser. Angle the pin on the cut strip in direction of the rise. This is to be done between the marks of the layout. Drill it against the nail and the scrap piece.
- You should cut the rug pad of the same width of the tackless strip. This should be longer by three inches than the deepness of the tread. Nail the pad to the front edge of the strip. Screw on the pad edge with staples. A space of three inches should be maintained. Shear the pad where the crest of the risers meets.
- Put glue on the back of the stair runner and let it dry. You can unroll the rug up to three to four treads. It should be between the marks of the layout. Line up the stair runner accordingly. Push the end of it against the platform of first riser. Staple the runner rug’s end at the bottom of the riser at every three inches.
- See to it that the stair runner is taut and sticking to the tackless strip firmly. Make the surface flat with the help of a level up tool. At the end, the stair runner should not look uneven and bulgy. The surface should be smooth and look disciplined.
- You can use the rubber mallet and the carpet tool to make sure that the stair runner is properly fixed. The rug runner should be comfortably positioned between the riser and the tackless strip. Staple the edges properly. At the end, cut the extra piece. Stick the back with glue and nail the remaining.
- You can also install side rods for the stair runner. But this is optional. You can look for different patterns for the rug runner and enjoy a lovely cover for the stairs.
Materials that can be chosen for a stair runner
You can look for many materials while choosing the perfect stair runner for your home. You have to first note the requirement of the space. Maybe, your staircase does not have much of traffic. In this case, you may choose a cotton or jute runner rug for the stairs.
For low traffic areas, you can look for stair runners which have a thin pile with not much of deepness. However, in high traffic areas, you have to get a stair runner which has a deep and a thick pile. This will allow the rug runner to take on the stress of the footing.
Wool rugs or leather rugs are one of the best in options here. You can also choose a polyester rug when it comes to synthetic rugs. You can also consider stair runners which have blends of different materials like cotton, wool, polyester, viscose and many more. This will allow the rug runner to have a great strength and structure. It will last for many years too.