Silk rugs can be kept clean very easily now
You can clean silk rugs in various ways. This can depend on the adversary your area rug is facing. Sometimes, the damage may be too small. Other times, it may be too complicated. In such cases, professional rug cleaners should be called.
Characteristic and features of silk rugs
- Silk rugs are mostly produced in the West Asian countries. But these days, they are found in many other regions too. These floor rugs are beautiful to look at.
- The surface has a nice polish and shines which makes it attractive for any flooring.
- However, silk rugs should not be placed in high traffic areas. They can go through wear and tear. They can also get crushed if they are put up in a place which has stressful footing. You can position them in low traffic areas.
- As these rugs are made from natural materials, they are Eco friendly. If there is a use of vegetable dye in the silk rug, it is better for homes.
- Mostly, silk rugs are utilized for home interior flooring. In the outdoors, it may get spoilt due to too much exposure in sunlight.
- You can see many embroidered patterns and contemporary floral patterns on the surface. Therefore, you will find contemporary rugs and even Oriental rugs in this category.
- Silk rugs are flexible and can be stretched without spoiling its original shape and size. Therefore, if you want a high end area rug for the interiors, you can have this piece.
- These area rugs can get stained and look shabby if placed in areas, which has lots of dust. Hence, it is better that silk rugs are not kept in places which are accessible to a lot of crowd or wet areas.
- You should not place a silk rug in moist areas. It cannot absorb water. If you want a new look for the rug, do not place in the kitchen or bathroom areas.
Dusting off the silk rug
Silk rugs are expensive. Therefore, to save on buying a new one you have to keep the present one intact. You should use a soft brush or broom to take off the dust from these rugs. You can even take the silk rug outside, just shake off the residue, and dust particles.
Sometimes, a faux silk rug can have surface threads which catch more dust. You need to therefore, keep the rug dust free all the time. Do this regularly.
If your silk rug gets spill of liquid on the surface, blot it immediately. You can use a clean and absorbing material of cloth to do so. You can scoop the solid particles before a stain settles deeply on the rug. Mix an equal amount of water and white vinegar together.
Apply the solution on the affected area. The stain will become lighter in shade. Wash it with mild detergent recommended by the manufacturer. Mostly, silk rugs are put to dry clean. You can even utilize baking soda to remove the stain mark and save the silk rug from discoloration. Rub a little of the powder on the surface and clean with a dry and soft cloth.
Do not use chemical agents or harsh detergents. Otherwise, your silk rug will get spoilt. Do not even try any ash or lubricant oil of any other rug on them. This may not suit the material of silk at all. So be careful to look for the recommended silk rug cleaner only.
Fading color and discoloration
Sometimes your silk rug might get discolored or faded with years or due to stains. If it is about the stains, get them treated professionally as soon as possible. The more you delay, greater the damage. Sometimes, stubborn stains are too difficult to take off by homemade methods. Professional rug cleaners may help here. You have to decide between professional cleaning or cleaning at home depending on situation.
If certain patches on the silk rug fade, then contact rug dyers. They will induce the necessary dyes again on these rugs. You can have your silk rug back, looking new as ever. If you get a cheap quality silk rug, the dyes may bleed. See to it that you do not wash such rugs much and get it treated professionally soon.
Some factors to keep in mind while cleaning silk rugs
- Use lukewarm or cold water to clean silk rugs.
- Never scrape off any stain or particle with sharp objects. This may cause the area rug to tear.
- You should not use any harsh chemical agent on the rug without consultation.
- Silk rugs which are tagged to be put for dry cleaning, should not be hand washed.
- Never dry these rugs in sunlight as it may affect the dye, color present, and cause fading.
- Silk rugs which have blends of different materials should be cleaned only after reading the manual of the necessary rug cleaning process.
- These area rugs should be stored in cool and dry place and not a moist one.
- Keep them away from fire and other hot places. The fiber may otherwise get affected.
- You can keep your silk rug odor free by inducing pest free pellets or coffee beans. Fragrant potpourri can also help.
Judge if your silk rug is authentic
- The silk rug you are going to purchase can be fake or a blend of cotton and other materials.
- One way of judging its authenticity is to rub the surface. If the silk rug becomes warm, it is genuine.
- You can ask for a small swatch of the product and burn a thread. If the fiber balls up or smell like burnt hair, it is original.